Default Can you run Phantom Power to non-condenser mics?

Good questions Ray.....

Dynamic mics should ignore phantom power...

Phantom power works by supplying +48 volts equally on pins 2 and 3....pin 1
is the ground

In a dynamic or ribbon mic the +48 volts is present on both pins so they are
nulled out. This is called "common mode rejection"

As long as the connections and cable are not defective all works well.

Some boards have switches on each channel to disable the power. It is easy
to add your own.

Inside to board there are two 6.81K resistors that feed the 48 volts to pins
2 & 3. you can place a switch just upstream from them to switch off the
power. You can do this for each channel or in sections.

I have heard several manufactures call this mod "unnecessary", "unneeded",
"only for the uninformed" etc.

I say "take a look at the Tascam da88 that gets plugged into a board with
the phantom turned on. It isn't pretty."

I hope this helps.

Greg Dwinell

"Ray B." wrote in message
Hey all.

Kind of a stupid question, but here goes (have mercy):

I have a mixer that has a "global" phantom power switch - i.e. when you

turn
it on, ALL the XLR balanced inputs on the board get 48v phantom power. I
have 2 condenser mics which need phantom power; but I also want to run a

few
additional non-condenser balanced mics (i.e. sm58's or similar) into this
board.

So, my question is...do I risk any damage to either the mics or the board

if
I run those non-condensor mics into a balanced XLR input that has phantom
power turned on? I'd like to avoid having to buy 2 separate phantom power
supplies just for those 2 condenser mics, given the fact that my current
board does have phantom power.

TIA,

ray