Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

Default 8 ohm version drastically louder than 4 Ohm version of same loudspeaker model

Trevor wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

We know nothing about the driver design, the crossover design, the
bass alignment, etc.

Fairly well documented in the archive version of Yorkvilles web site, bass
alignment seems identical and is irrelevant as this is about one box
sounding open in the high range, and one box sounding dull.

All true, but I assume Peter expected the Driver design, Xover
design, to be very similar, but as Dick pointed out, the driver is
unlikely to have exactly the same BL product (I would have expected
less than a 6dB difference in efficiency from a reputable
manufacturer however, maybe not for white van speakers :-)

And with a bit of loss of efficiency there is no point in not leaving the
high range section "as is" since there is no problem to solve by lowering
its impedance. If efficiency goes out with the bathwater there also is not
any reason to make the 4 Ohm version in the first place, other than perhaps
saving on magnet size.

And I would hope the box design/bass alignment is the same IF the
model is supposed to be the same at least. But no guarantees there
either.

Hopefully Yorkville can explain this. I will make a summary folder up when I
know more. For me the 6 dB output difference is the difference between
outdoor vox projection to 120 meters or to 60 meters for each box.

Trevor

Kind regards

Peter Larsen