Steven Dillon

Default Mic Questions

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
In Article EFcvb.109$Yt4.31@lakeread05, "Steven Dillon"
Guitars that sound great in air often don't record well and vice versa.
ALthough your post is quite detailed. I doubt if anyone could really solve
your problem without knowing (hearing) what you're getting and dealing

with
understanding what you think you want.

Hey Ty,
I have tunes up on MP3.com and Real Audio (they are pretty crappy)
on my own site. Though I'm not even sure if MP3.com is active any more.
I guess if I had to pick something to compare it to, it would be Preston
Reed's sound in his latest Handwritten Notes or maybe some of Don Ross's
stuff (Huron Street or Passion Session). Those CD's feature pretty large
sounding guitars. Both artists also use an amplified sound blended with
their
acoustic sound. For my stuff, and some of theirs as well, you simply MUST
use the amplified sound to capture all of the nuances of some of the
techniques
involved. An example would be false harmonics that are tapped. No mic
will be able to reproduce that sound because it barely exists in the air and
surrounding area of the guitar. It takes an amplifier to hear it...

What you're likely to get is a list of, "Here's what I do." which may or

may
not solve your problem. Could be your guitar just doesn't record well.

Could

I think that there is some of that going on... My Webber is pretty thin
sounding, but that's what I was after for that guitar as well. It sounds
fast...

be the mics in the wrong place, could be its the wrong mic in the wrong
place. Could be a combination of all or some of the previous. Could be

your
expectations are impossible to meet.

Hah... That would be a first! ;-) I always expect and want the
impossible.
But, in the end, that can be a good thing because even though I might not
get there, I'll likely get close to where I wanted to be and I'll be WAY
better off than having not tried at all to improve what I can get...

So far, little has beat the sound I get from a Schoeps CMC641 on acoustic
guitar. I have a short sample of that in the audio archive on my site. I
also have an mp3 of a Gefell M296 omni that really impressed me. See if
that's what you like.

Thanks for the samples. That was good to hear. Were these just the
mics all by themselves (no pre-amp or adding in delay between the
left and right sides)?

Thanks for everything,

Steven Dillon

http://www.stevendillon.com