4seasonphoto

Default Thoughts on Magneplanar MGIIB Speakers?

When new, those were very decent speakers but sound their best well away
from the back or side walls, and always did sound kind of rolled-off in
the upper frequencies, though with use and aclimatization, you get used
to it. Later variations of the MGII incorporated ribbon tweeters, but I
didn't like these at all, as I thought they weren't a good sonic match.
If you want a ribbon tweeter, the MGIII is much better.

Maintenance issues, yes there's the potential for that! A fairly handy
owner can perform a surprisingly big rebuild, but it's labor-intensive.
The trick to very quickly determining if something is wrong is to play
some music with heavy bass notes (reggae ought to work fine): If you
hear odd buzzes, that's a sign of loose wires (not to be confused with
the sound of a Maggie bottoming out at high listening levels). And of
course if it REALLY sounds rolled of, it's time to lay down some new
tweeter wires 'cause the aluminum wire used doesn't last forever.

Nicholas Currie Schmuck wrote:
Hi, I have a chance to purchase a set of ~20 year old Magneplanar MGIIBs
that are in good condition. What is a fair price for these
speakers? Does anyone have any experience with these speakers - are they
good? The reviews of the current day speakers are very good, but I havent
found anything about MGIIBs - thanks!