Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Dynamic Mic Noise

mcp6453 wrote:

I'm trying to think what I might have that's transformerless. My TLM67
doesn't have a transformer, but I only have one. (We need two matching
mics for video aesthetics.) What about the Beta 87A?

** Condenser mics normally use Mu-Metal shielded transformers OR are transformerless. In both cases nearby magnetic hum fields have little or no effect.

Dynamic mics pick up nearby hum fields via their **voice coils** - examples like the SM57 & SM58 have an unshielded transformer buried in the handle as well that also picks up induced hum.

Few mics have hum bucking coils fitted, suggesting that most users regard it as a non problem and simply move the mic away from the hum source.

..... Phil

so without a hum bucking coil to defeat the effect are all excellent hum det