Jack W. Hart

Default Your Opinion on Tube Amp Reliability???

Spongebob wrote:

I am considering going to a tube amp, after 25 years of solid state
amps. (Specifically, it is a conrad-johnson, but my question is general.)
I have read comments through the years about the problems tube amps
have ("always in the shop", etc.). Is this a reality? I live in a town
with no tube amp dealers, and would need to send it back to the manufacturer
if it fails. Are my knees quaking for no good reason?

By the way, I don't consider the need to bias the tubes a problem. I would
be grateful for any feedback.
--Leslie

Leslie:

You sound like me about 9 years ago. Although you didn't provide any
indication of your budget, I STRONGLY recommend the Balanced Audio
Technology tube amps; not only are they excellent sounding and extremely
well made, the company stands behind its products. Owning their tube
amps is not that much different from solid state as they are
self-biasing and the tube complement typically lasts 4 - 5 years. Check
them out at http://www.balanced.com/.

Happy listening!

Jack