DTS Audio

Default Your Opinion on Tube Amp Reliability???

I repair high end audio, and I do as much or more solid state than
tube, and most of my customers are tube equipment sellers. Tubes do
require more care and feeding than solid state though. As long as you
keep an eye on bias and periodically replace the output tubes in
particular, ther's no reason a tube amp won't be as reliable.
Conrad-Johnson are particularly good.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:09:20 GMT, "Spongebob"
wrote:

I am considering going to a tube amp, after 25 years of solid state
amps. (Specifically, it is a conrad-johnson, but my question is general.)
I have read comments through the years about the problems tube amps
have ("always in the shop", etc.). Is this a reality? I live in a town
with no tube amp dealers, and would need to send it back to the manufacturer
if it fails. Are my knees quaking for no good reason?

By the way, I don't consider the need to bias the tubes a problem. I would
be grateful for any feedback.
--Leslie

Dan Santoni
DTS Audio