James

Default In search of the perfect Home Audio Appliance (or something likeit)

Grant Taylor wrote:
(Ronald F. Guilmette) writes:

I have been unable to find any suitable black 17-inch-wide
*enclosure* for this whole [ PC as stereo component ] mess.

There seem to be plenty out there. Google for "HTPC case".

Or, if you're creative, why not build your contraption into an
existing non-computer case? Perhaps use an old VCR or CD deck; broken
ones should be approximately free. Example:
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/mediabox/

Or, if you know exactly what you want, you can have a case fabricated
to your design by an enclosure fabricator such as www.protocase.com;
the estimator thing on their website says one custom metal HTPC-style
case in black with a small smattering of cuts would run $250 or so.

$250 is expensive. I've had to deal with the lack of 19" 2u,3u and 4u
cases costing more than the $50 they should. If somebody will take
autocad and layout a versatile 19"chasis design, I'll build them, as I
need about 10 for myself. I have to get 50 ($50) or $2,500 made up,
but, I'll take the hit on that, as I know I
can sell them for $50 each, with no power supply.

I'm not an autocad guy and all of the metal stamping places want
autocad files....

Somebody design a 19" chasis, and I'll get them built and sell them
for $50 plus shipping...

Any autocad drafters interested?

James