Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bob Lombard[_3_] Bob Lombard[_3_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On 8/8/2013 3:05 PM, ScottW wrote:
Here you go.
http://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/dl_down...r_Manual_e.pdf
This is the user manual for Rohde & Schwarz UPV Audio Analyzer. This
is not a toy. It's a professional tool for designers and production
test. Pick a test and you will find that the system has a factory
programmed source specifically optimized for that test to provide the
highest accuracy and speed possible for that test. While the system
can use pre-recorded signals including music for some tests (not all),
I think you'll find that for any parametric tests you've listed above,
the extremely low noise precision signal generators are used.

In fact the accuracy and repeatability can be pretty much equal.

Virtually every piece of test equipment improves it's accuracy and repeatability by averaging. Non-repetitive music samples do not lend themselves to this and for measurements like THD+N (ref pg 130)..you will note that "sinusoidal signals are required".

ScottW

Scott, please forgive (or at least ignore) my ignorance. How do these
tests /directly/ relate to the accurate reproduction of music - assuming
that a microphone is a requirement for capturing it, so starting from there?

bl