Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:37:35 AM UTC-7, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

On Monday, August 5, 2013 4:34:24 PM UTC-7, Arny Krueger wrote:

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 12:40:30 PM UTC-7, Scott wrote:

You can say it but it isn't true. I have many pop/rock albums that

offer stunningly vivid imaging with sound stages that extend well past

the speakers and offer loads of depth as well as width and give the

instruments a tremendous sense of size and palpability. So you CAN

hear that with the right pop/rock recordings.

So you are saying that these recordings were recorded stereophonically?

No, It is possible to position instruments well past the speakers from

multitrack recordings. Add some of the track to the opposite channel

with

the phase inverted, and voila, you've got a track that sounds like it

is

coming from the outside of the space between the speakers.

I wasn't questioning the width, I know that can be artificially introduced

one

of several ways. It was the depth from multitrack that I was questioning.

Depth can also be artifically introduced by several means including adding

delays and spectral shaping.

Absolutely. Or just by being further from the mic. The room reverb picked up from the mic also adds to the sense of depth. Depth is as much determined by the relative loudness and spectral content as anything else.