Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Need advice for a small room

On Fri, 11 May 2012 16:11:51 -0700, ScottW wrote
(in article ):

On May 11, 6:02am, "Gary Eickmeier" wrote:
"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Snip

You can move around in it just like live. The realism of it depends
on the size of the room being similar to the original, or what the
original would be good in. And most notably, neither the recording
nor the reproduction have anything to do with the number of ears on
your head or the spacing between them or any single position of any
microphone during the recording.

All very nice theory, but reality is most of us are dealing with
stereo recordings.
One reason I think the Quads image so well is there lack of wide
dispersion and therefore reduced reflection interference. Best
imaging systems are in either highly damped (non-reflective rooms),
near field setups, or controlled dispersion IMO.
Frequency response doesn't have a lot of correlation with imaging to
me.

ScottW

I can't speak for the Quads as I've never lived with a pair, but I can tell
you that the reason why the Martin-Logans image so well is because of their
curved screens, I once had a pair of Innersound flat panel electrostatics in
my listening room for about three months and they drove me mad. The flat
panel ES element required that the LISTENER (notice the lack of a plural,
here) do an elaborate set-up involving holding a small flashlight in one's
mouth and pointing ones' head dead-ahead. Then one moved the panels until one
could see the flashlight reflection, equally, in the center of both panels.
Then one had to sit as if one's head was in a vise or the imaging would
collapse and the highs would go away. If you sat perfectly still, OTOH, they
did sound marvelous.

With the M-Ls, the curvature of the screen, meant that starting in the upper
midrange, the section of the curve facing the listener acts as a line source.
So wherever you sit, as long as you are on axis with both curved surfaces,
you get a decent image. Indeed, the sweet spot is very wide with these
speakers and can comfortably accommodate several listeners at once.