Geoff Wood

Default Advantage of tape over MD?

"Myke Carter" wrote in message

I have two different versions of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon"
CD. I have ripped WAVs of all of the tracks from both of these discs.
I have examined and compared their respective "peak" and "level"
readings. For testing purposes, I have normalized a copy of one of the
tracks by +4.5dB to attain my personally preferred level of -10dBFS, and
I have normalized an additional copy of the same track by what is to me
a deliberately unreasonable amount of +10dB. I have also made
screenshots of all three of these files while they were simultaneously
imported into 'Audacity' so that side-by-side comparisons of the
differences that "normalize" can make are visually obvious.

Has it occured to you that part of the intention of the album producer is
that Great Gig In The Sky is not *supposed* to be as loud as Money ? What
you are doing in making your music like MacDonalds - uniformly bland. If
you really love music (as opposed to being an addictive collector/hunter) ,
you should not be doing this sacrilege.

geoff