Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

Default Here we go again!

So do I. OK, so that precludes anything on vinyl because any recording on
vinyl is by definition not well recorded. No skin off my nose.

I'm not sure I would go that far. I have been harping on the theoretical
advantages of digital audio since 1976. But I have some LPs dating back to
the early 70s that I would say are very well recorded, and provide the same
level of enjoyment as a well recorded CD, even if there is the occasional
tick or pop. Here are some of my favorite LPs:

- Toto IV - Toto (Columbia)
- Abbey Road - Beatles (Mobile Fidelity)
- Capriccio Italien from the 1812 Overture LP - Tchaikovsky (Telarc)
- Aspen Gold - Kingston Trio (Nautilus)
- Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 - Eagles (Asylum)

To name a few. Some recordings, such as Rumours by Fleetwood Mac sound
better on the LP. The 1982 CD remaster simply falls flat - not the
technology, but the implementation. On the other hand, the Mirage CD from
the same era sounds great.