Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

Default Here we go again!

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:
The CD *medium* will always sound better than vinyl - if you value
audio
quality. Individual CDs are a different matter. Rubbish in rubbish
out.
But then that applies to vinyl too. Vinyl lovers tend to give the
impression there are no poorly recorded LPs.

And CD lovers tend to give the impression there are no poorly recorded
CDs, but you should know better than to go by *impressions*...

Lots and lots on here about poor mastering of recent CDs.

Of course had this group existed 30 years ago the complaints would have
been about poor pressings.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Poor pressings were ubiquitous at the time. I started buying LPs in the
sixties, and had a system sufficiently good to appreciate pressing quality
by the late 60s. *Every* LP I bought ultimately dissapointed due to surface
clicks and pops. Try listening to the second movement of Beethoven's Emperor
concerto on LP, and see if you can suspend disbelief that you're scraping
the music off the plastic with a rock on the end of a stick. You'll hear
every click and pop. I used to return 5 or 6 LPs for every one I bought, in
a vain attempt to find a quiet one. I wished and prayed for a distribution
medium that would reproduce the master tape without interference. Cassettes
(self recorded from Radio 3) were rather better, but pre-recorded cassettes
weren't as good as LPs as although they didn't have the impulsive noise,
they had all sorts of other shortcomings. When, in 1977, I first heard what
became CD, (I was working for Philips at the time), it was what I had been
waiting for. What was eventually released after Sony got involved was even
better than Philips's own developments. (As an aside, Philips conceived CD
as an in-car medium only, and the first CDs were rather smaller and of lower
quality, so the player could fit into a standard DIN car radio slot)
*Everything* about CD was as improvement over LP and cassette. Even the much
maligned jewel box, I couldn't see much wrong with it once you got the hang
of opening it. Sleeve art aside, CDs came with a booklet, so even the sleeve
notes were often more comprehensive.

No, for me at least, CD did and still does everything I need from a music
carrier, and I play LPs for fun, (I have three turntables) much as I would
drive a 1930s MG, or when the musical content is more important than the
reproduced quality.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com