Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Frequency range of the voice

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Julien Bernier" wrote ...
Is there anyone knowing what are the actual frequencies we should
Heighten/Lower in an EQ for the vocals to sound crisper and to get out
of the mix clearly. Most of the time I cut the bass below the 100Hz
range and up it a bit in the 15-22k range. But I'm not sure it is the
best thing to do. I use a precision 200 AKG microphone. (If it might
be
useful)

IMHO, nobody's voice puts out anything useful in a complex
mix at 15-22KHz. Half the listeners can't even hear those
freqs.

Note that when you use a simple second-order filter like on typical
console EQ, you can set the sweep to 22 KHz and still be making a
substantial change at 8 KHz.

My advice to new folks is to spend some time with the equalizer boosting
various frequencies and getting a sense of what each of the ranges sound
like. THEN, when you actually want to equalize, try first only cutting,
never boosting. Think about what you need to take away, never what you
need to add. Once you get a good feel for how to get the sound you want
using _only_ cutting, then learn what you can do with boost.