Posted to rec.audio.car
David Matthew Wood[_2_] David Matthew Wood[_2_] is offline

Default WAY, WAY off the topic question regarding turntables.....

Agreed, on the good 'ol turntable. Mine is just a Pioneer PL-L1000
linear turntable, which I mounted a Shure V15 on. I really don't mind
the occasional "click" or "pop" associated with vinyl, I definitely
prefer its overall sound quality to that of a CD.

And I'm not even taking into account, the ****ty way they have been
mastering the more modern CDs (from the last 10 years or so), either.

I will get a record clamp. I didn't post it but a couple months ago I got a
new belt, one designed SPECIFICALLY for this table, not a generic Technics
belt designed for MANY models as there are subtle differences in length that
can lengthen or shorten the life of the belt if you don't get the EXACT
model for your table, as well as the new Audio Technica cartridge and
headshell.

It all sound FANTASTIC and I was pleased that after so many years, my vinyal
still sounded outstanding (of course, I have always neem carefull about
storing my collection in the house, not outside in the garage or a shed
where heat or cold can damage the album). I have to admitt, there is
something about vinyal records and the superior sound quality they produce
(provided you have a decent table, cartridge, amp and speakers).

Many records I played just plain sounded better in every respect than the CD
or high sampling rate MP3. I bought a new sound card as well just so I
could make superior rips of some of my records. However, as happened when I
bought a new video card, I discovered benefits I simply did not expect. For
instance, I bought the new video card 5 years ago so I could integrate my HD
TV to my computer. But perhaps the BIGGEST benefit I completely did not
expect from that purchase is now I use two LCD monitors at all times. I
have found this to be a wonderful convience and cannot imagine EVER going
back to a single monitor. For instance, I usually have a movie going on my
22" LCD, my "main" monitor, and then I surf the net, check mail, do
countless other things on my 19" secondary monitor. I LOVE that, use it
EVERY TIME I USE THE COMPUTER, and certainly use that feature more than the
integration of my computer to my TV.

Well, I discovered a similar thing with my new sound card. Although I
bought it for ripping albums, I also now have 7.1 or 5.1 audio pumped to my
Denon whenever I play a movie on my computer and tranfer it to my home
theater (as long as the movie, of course, has multi-channel audio encoded on
it). But beyond even that, the BIGGEST benefit is the dramatic improvement
is SQ with the new card. It is quite amazing the difference. I have pretty
good phones, top-of-the line ($80) 50mm driver Sound Candy over the ear
phones. I compeletley did not the expect the improvemnt. I thought my
"stock" (built-in) sound card of my Compaq delivered good sound. I was
wrong. This aftermarket card I bought sounded AMAZINGLY better, and also
came with some sound tools (beyond your basic EQ and reverb) that can
manipulate the SQ in subtle and great ways.

Anyway, it just goes to show you, as I've said, computer makers do not focus
much on sound and video quality, instead focusing on the four parameter most
consumers focus on, price, processor speed, hard drive size and RAM size.
Other things, (mouse, keyboard, sound, video, CD and DVD, and sometimes
modem hardware are now located all on the motherboard) and to keep costs
down, are often of poor quality.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
My first MM turntable (which happen to be my first turntable ever, I NEVER
owned one of those cheapo ceramic cartridge type, you know the type kids
and
schools owned in the 60-70's') was a VERY old BIC (remember them) I
recieved

When you talk turntables, you must have a record clamp. Well not really,
but
the clamp takes away some of the records resonance sitting
on the platter. It DOES make a difference.

greg