Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default WAY, WAY off the topic question regarding turntables.....

That's great. I never was industrious enough to build anything other than
simple kits Radio Shack sold like I remember building an AM radio and an AM
broadcaster, but the range was pathetic so it wasn't like I could start my
own radio station. I also owned several of those 100+ projects kits that
Radio Shack sold. You could make all sorts of useless things like tone
generators and solar powered radios.

I never built anything useful for my stereo. But I seemed to be able to
scare up components like the Ampeg bass amplifier that I integrated into my
system. I loved that thing. Two 15" drivers and perhaps 150-200 watts to
drive them. Though my band director made me give it back a week before I
graduated, I enjoyed that thing immensly for 3+ years, and it certainly
created a benchmark in terms of bass power that I strove hard to replace,
which I finally achieved when, in college, I purchased a 15" subwoofer and
150 watt X 2 amplifier (the sub was unpowered). I lived in a dorm and this
did not make me very popular with my neighbors. But a side note to that, it
was in college that I first began to understand the peculiar nature of bass.
When I would crank my system (which I didn't do all that often), it wasn't
my immediate neighbors who complained, but students whose rooms were very
far from mine, but located on the boundries of the building. I remember
being VERY surprised when some upset student would complian and their room
was located 12 rooms from mine, yet my next door neighbor heard almost
nothing. I remember thinking just how strange it was.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
(GregS) wrote:
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Oh I forgot, those garbage can speakers
I made in 1970 used 10 inch Radio Shack coaxials.
You turn the plastic can upside down, cut the hole out
with a knife and put mounting holes in, stuff the inside
with something like a pillow, turn it back over and rock.
It was something you can do in the Army barracks
without much of anything.

greg

I love these kind of stories, I really do. You seem very much like
myself
as a kid, not a lot of money, but an absolute LOVE of music and the gear
that plays the music. Oh, and a desire to listen at ear-bleeding levels.

WIth 2 sets of my bass speakers in the basement and 200 wats per
side, was enough to get 130 dB ear splitting volume.

I forgot to mention me and my friend back in the early 70's. He played
bass
with a pair of Ampeg transistor rigs. Each had 4 - 12 inch Altec drivers
and a horn. 8- 12 inch Altecs can make yourself vibrate. We would hook
up his fathers tape deck and try different things, music, echo, etc.

greg