Posted to rec.audio.pro
MD

Default Digital Room "Correction"

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

"MD" wrote:

I normally stay out of things like this unless the data is way off
base and/or someone is pushing an agenda. Ask Ethan what he does for
a living.

Okay, let's have it. What's the history with you and Ethan? Why the
campaign to discredit his work? I don't understand it. He's always
been completely above-board and reasonable, and does not present his
product as an essential solution. So why do you take issue with him?

I agree that some people use misinformation to sell their wares, but
Ethan is NOT one of them.

Besides, in another thread you were presented with the arguments against
room EQ and for room treatment, with excellent explanations of why the
former fails and the latter excels, yet you cling to your argument in
favour of room EQ. Why?

With due respect, I would suggest that it is perhaps you who is
perpetuating popular mythology over practical reality.

Never said Ethan doesn't contribute anything worthwhile - because I
believe he does

Don't know what the lack of balls comment means. This is a written
forum. What would I be doing if I "stood alongside"?

There are times when Ethan puts the facts forward

What is the deal with me and Ethan? Not sure there is one.

Never said the DSP solves everything. Never said it solves the decay
issues.

Here's the deal. Ethan posted an answer to a novice who was asking for
help. In that email he said digital correction doesn't work at all.

Quote - can a digital EQ system like the Behringer, working only at
low frequencies (say below about 300Hz) be expected to improve matters -
In a word, No.

This is wrong, misleading and he knows better (his own experiments and
plots have shown this and he has said differently on other forums.)

I am not saying either DSP is a panacea. To be honest I haven't seen
enough data or done enough personal A/B tests to come to a conclusion on
whether traps or DSP are "better". For a single listening position DSP
can be quite effective and is much cheaper than traps. My ears and
plots tell me that (as do others ears and their plots)

I have a problem with someone who knows better saying something -
especially to a novice - that they know is patently wrong. Especially if
one has an agenda. If Ethan didn't know better and wasn't so well
informed I would have cut him some slack and replied on my own with a
more tempered rebuttal.

I am not in the business and have nothing to gain or lose by posting in
this thread.