Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default otl amplifier 65W

On 11/15/16 14:49, Patrick Turner so wittily quipped:
The 2x300W stereo amp I made sounded just as well as a class A tube amp capable of 50W pure class A with 4 x GE6550A per channel. I had 4 blokes over one evening for listen session, and I switched to SS amp after an hour with a switch I'd rigged up. They were ALL fooled, not one perceived any sound change. When I owned up to this mean nasty trick, they were not happy, but one said, "well, the same ******* designed both amps, so I guess they both sound just as good..." The lynching rope was put back in the bag.

heh - that's pretty funny.

seriously, though, tubes have their biggest benefit when the tube itself
is part of "the sound" [like guitar amps].

Still doesn't stop me from thinking that glowy glass bottles "look cool"
and actually appear to be doing something when the blue-glow on the side
of the bottle changes brightness along with the music...