Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default 1/2 12BH7??

Big Bad Bob
25 Jan

probably because it was designed specifically FOR that (vertical
amplifier/oscillator in a TV, requires large linear region for wide
plate voltage swing)

makes sense to me. I'll consider this tube as a driver for beam power
tubes in the future.

Its good, even if you can't make any sense of this now.
McIntosh reckoned they were just right in their amps.

Tubes were rarely ever limited to ONE purpose the designers may have had in mind.

And I still make gear just to fill in time, no particular purpose at all, and last month I got an RF gene going real well, with AM and FM, and I used tubes which seem quite out of place, such as 6CW5/EL86 for a triode concertina phase splitter & buffer for RF up to 2MHz. Worked better than 12AU7 and other tubes I tried. Sometimes, if you think outside the square, you look back at the square, and you see its a circle.......

Patrick Turner.