Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default an interesting archive of R.A.T.

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 8:06:39 AM UTC-5, Patrick Turner wrote:

It sure has gone quiet for about the last 7 years, maybe it was a result of two things, the GFC, and everyone getting older.

Not so much that - those few individuals who shared space here and who had something to offer tend to be spending their time actually doing it, rather than blathering about it. I have spend more time immersed in tube gear these last 4 years than in the previous 20, for what that's worth. It comes from having a much better shop, more space, a very understanding and tolerant wife, and having reached critical mass - the hobby is now self-supporting such that I can sell off those things that have ceased to hold my attention and purchase those 'new' things that are catching without expending any 'new' money. And as we live in the former nexus of tubes (A****er Kent, Sylvania,Victor, RCA, Philco, Muntz, Cunningham, Dynaco, Hafler, Acrosound, Theil, Bendix, Westinghouse, and many more), there is still a LOT of stuff hiding in warehouses, garages, attics and more, that acquisition opportunities are many - if one is so-minded.

You would be shocked at what a young Chinese person will pay for an indifferent piece of American gear, as long as it is cosmetically intact. I have no guilt whatsoever sending stuff to China - our cash comes back, and they are forever reminded of what they cannot achieve on their own.

As to AM, I have a little AM transmitter that will deliver a full 20-20K spectrum if running uncompressed, at about 100 mw (Part 15 legal). My 1930s Zenith Shutterdial sounds quite amazing. The transmitter is an SSTRAN AMT3000 - a kit-built unit, the kits made about 4 miles from where I live by a retired computer designer. Tiny little thing as well. But a very clean signal..

In any case, I am not far behind you in years - and I have, so far, one artificial joint (hip). That replacement, just this last June, has added at least 10 years to my life in mobility alone.

Take care!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA