Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Grounded Grid?? Really?

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 1:37:25 AM UTC-5, John L Stewart wrote:

Here is confirmation of Patrick T's comment on our ability to hear
phase. Copied from Fred E Terman's Electronic & Radio Engineering, 4th
Edition.

True, & true.

HOWEVER: a couple of times I have made myself look godlike (and that is a vast stretch even to the best of imaginations) to a certain class of audiophile by the simple expedient of connecting their speakers correctly (in phase). On one very special occasion, I had to practically tie one gentleman down as he INSISTED that the right speaker should be connected one way, the left the other way. Until he heard them connected properly.

So, relative phase angles may be inaudible. But 180 degrees out of phase is most definitely audible.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA