Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Attenuate -10db output

William Sommerwerck wrote:
What you're asking for a is device that is basically Audio Engineering
101 -- a simple (hah!) attenuator.

Rather than explain how to do this -- it is not _mathematically_ difficut --
why don't you do some research into attenuator design?

Or why not just buy a box that does the job? It's not all that hard to
design
a mic preamp, yet it's probably the biggest selling studio tool.

It's important to do a little research to choose the right box to purchase,
and you point out some of the important parameters, but most off-the-shelf
adjustable devices intended to do the job have enough attenuation range
and reasonable input and output impedance for a line level application so
that it's hard to make a mistake and choose the wrong one. It's really more
important to make sure the right connectors are available than to
worry about whether it's balanced or unbalanced, or 5K or 20K input
impedance.

This is stuff you need to understand to improve your engineering skills. I
urge you to get some literature on basic design and study it.

It sounds like we're not dealing with a would-be engineer here, just someone
who wants to get a job done. He would be better served simply by calling a
dealer, describing what he has, what he needs to do, and asking what they
sell that will fix him up. But a lot of people tend to mistrust dealers.
That only
means you're going to the wrong dealer.

me he
)