Posted to rec.audio.pro
fredbloggstwo fredbloggstwo is offline

Default Attenuate -10db output

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
fredbloggstwo wrote:

I would have thought 'most' likely to work if the input impedance is
known, and using good practice of attenuating as near to the destination
as possible, e.g. inside the device connector, would have minimal
capacitance effect within the audio band.

It's nice that so many people know the theory, but disappointing that so
few
actually have experience, or understand the theory well enough to know
what
matters or what doesn't.

This is a very simple problem, and any of the proposed solutions that
would
work at all will work equally well for the application. You're not doing
laboratory
measurements to within a couple of dB of the theoretical noise floor,
you're
just listening to the radio.

The fly in the ointment is that there's no inexpensive universal
off-the-shelf solution,
so unless the original poster is willing to spend $50-$100 to solve a
trivial problem,
a do-it-yourself approach is usually what we "pros" recommend. But if he's
not sure
which end of the soldering iron to hold, or doesn't have the necessary
tools to
determine the correct value of the ten cent resistors he needs (nobody can
simply
give him a number without knowning very specific details of the system),
then he's
best served with what's available off-the-shelf even though most of us
would not
take that approach.

Since I know that any source with peaks above +18 dBu will overload the
front end
of my portable recorder, I pack a set of cables with 10 dB attenuators
built into the
connectors. It took me about half an hour to make them (but 50 years of
experience
to know how).

Sorry Mike

Your point is .....