Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

Default No Interconnect is the Best

"flipper" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:55:22 +0200, "Iain Churches"
wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
. ..

Out of curiosity, got any, say circa 1985, CDs?

Last night, after sauna, I was looking at some British remastered pop
CD's from that era. Jethro Tull in particular.

Good stuff. I've always loved the emotion put into the flute in Bouree
on the Stand Up album, although, their most famous is probably
Aqualung.

An amazing band.

Which one were you looking at?

I have quite a lot of early Tull material on vinyl and the remakes
on CD. The comparisons are interesting.

I listened to:
"Stand Up" (published 1970)
"Awakening" (1971)
"Living In the Past" (1972)
"Passion Play" (1973)
"Broadsword" (1979?)

These were among the first titles to be resissued on CD

They all seemed average
around -18dBFS. In contrast, much current pop material peaks at,
or close to, clipping.

Much of the Jethro Tull material has been
remastered and re-issued more that once.
There are considerable diffferences in, for
example, the versions of "Thick As a Brick"
1979 (vinyl) and the 1988 and 1997 CD versions.
Likewise, "Broadsword" vinyl and first CD
sound very similar indeed, the later (2005) remastering is quite
different. (I avoid the use of the terms "worse" or better")

Yeah. And, frankly, I can't figure out what the heck Arny and Eeyore
think they're 'arguing' about.

Perhaps Graham does not actually know, although
from habit he speak always with considerable implied
authority. And Arny? well dear old Arny will argue
black is white - that's his style:-)

Regards to all
Iain