Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

Default No Interconnect is the Best

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Iain Churches wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Iain Churches wrote:
"flipper" wrote

Out of curiosity, got any, say circa 1985, CDs?

Last night, after sauna, I was looking at some British remastered pop
CD's from that era. Jethro Tull in particular. They all seemed
average
around -18dBFS. In contrast, much current pop material peaks at,
or close to, clipping.

Yes, that's 'modern' music production for you. Go to rec.audio.pro for
discussion of it every week or two.

I don't need to go anywhere Graham. I am involved
in mastering (though not usually pop material) on almost
a daily basis:-)

I believe it would be to your advantage to open your mind to other
peoples'
views on the matter too. You might get a more accurate idea of what's
going on.
It seems highly flawed to me at present judging by the basis of what
you've
written here.

I have a better idea of what is going on that most. It was
I who drew the attention to people on UKRA for instance
as to what was current practice. Most were amazed.
Prof Jim L decided to look into the matter, and based,
on the info I had given him, thought it important enough
to write two articles for a UK mag. Judging by the
aparent lack of feedback, it seems as though the
public were not too interested.

In most cases, other people's views (to which you
think one should open one's mind:-) are not very helpful.
Discussion with the end user is pretty depressing. Most
people neither notice nor care that pop CDs are heavily
compressed and sometimes clipped. Ask them, as I
have done, and they will tell you "Sounds fine to me. I
listen mainly in the car".

Luckily the genre of music in which I work, baroque
(early/pre classical orchestral music) and jazz are not
affected by this "louder is better" syndrome. I have
spoken with record company representatives and
producers who truly believe that they are giving
the public what they (think they) want. The record
companies get very few complaints indeed.

Does your expertise include CD mastering, Graham?
Do you have some constructive views on the subject?
If so, it would be of great interest to hear them

Best regards
Iain