Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Sony gets serious about high-resolution audio, again

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

The last thing we need is a niche audiophile-only format.

Well, while it's probably not the LAST thing we need (that would be
another manufacturer of $4000+ one-meter interconnect cables ), it is a
niche audiophile market, just like vinyl.

I don't think that vinyl is an audiophile-only product: it's the
trendy kids who like retro-everything who are buying it. The trouble
for SACD is that it doesn't have that market.

Andrew.

Well, let's just say that vinyl is ALSO an audiophile product. Mikey
Fremer has a lot of fellow travelers.

I still enjoy vinyl. I have a huge collection (that I didn't dump when
the CD came out) and I enjoy listening to them. I also enjoy trying new
record decks, arms, cartridges and phono preamps as they come out. In
spite of some posters' protestations to the contrary, modern phono
equipment does elicit more information from those record grooves than
was possible during vinyl's heyday. The best designed new tables have a
lower noise floor and less wow and flutter than did their predecessors.
Modern arms have lower resonances, less bearing friction, and track
better than did earlier designs and modern cartridges can have better
and flatter frequency response, track better with lower distortion and
generally cause less record wear than did cartridges in the 1980's.