Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz Norman M. Schwartz is offline

Default speaker efficiency

"Sonnova" wrote in message
I know a guy who once was powering a pair of Magnapan MG-3s (no letter
suffix) with a Dyna Stereo 70. It sounded fine, but he kept blowing the
Maggies' ribbon tweeters. Once, while talking to a tech at the Magnapan
factory about this, the tech noticed that he had replaced tweeters in his
MG-3's several times. He asked the guy about his peripheral equipment.
When
our audiophile mentioned the ST-70, the tech told him that that was the
problem. The amp was blowing the tweeter because it was too small (I had
told
him the same thing) and he recommended that the guy replace the amp with
something bigger - on the order of at least 100 Watts/channel.

Isn't the problem here that these speakers of are _both_ low efficiency and
low impedance? Can't any "high current" 100 watt amp can drive these
speakers more easily to high volumes, without clipping, blowing fuses and/or
damaging the ribbons than can any garden variety 200 Watt/channel amp?

He did so by
replacing the Dyna with an ADCOM GFA-5500 (200 W/PC) and never blew
another
tweeter.

Adcom amps are famed for their ability to drive LOW impedance loudspeakers.
(Before switching to Bryston monoblocs, I succeeded in driving a pair of
Tympani IVa with a pair of bridged Adcom GFA 555 without incident for many
years.)

I bought his ST-70 and use it to this day with a pair of Polk
bookshelf speakers connected to my computer. It's fine for that
application.
BTW, I too had a pair of Maggie's; MG-3B's in my case, running off of my
VTL
140's. I never once blew a tweeter and I had those speakers for 12 years.