William McLaughlin

Default Advice For Novice

Hi RATs!

I listen to MP3s from my computer's hard drive. From my sound
card, I have a Y-connector with one branch going to my computer
speakers and the other branch is connected--via a 20 foot
extension--to my integrated amp (a Fisher X-1000) across the room. I
was wondering, do I lose sound quality because of the 20 foot
extension? (It's a Radio Shack speaker extension cable with RCA
connectors on each end.)

If so, would it help if I ran the line out of the sound card
into a preamp before the extension? (In other words, the line out of
my sound card would go to the Y-connector, from there be connected to
a preamp input, the output of the preamp would be connected to the 20
foot extension which would then be connected to my integrated amp.)

If so, how would I set the volume on the preamp? All the way
up, or would that overload the preamp section of my integrated amp?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mac