Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Graphite For Sliders???

In article ,
Bill Graham wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
SSMusic wrote:
Graphite For Sliders???
I seem to quiet noisy sliders on my old mixer using Graphite dry
lubricant.
Any thoughts? Any adverse effects?

It's generally not a good idea.
But what IS a good idea depends a lot on what kind of sliders your
console has.

They make a spray can of stuff that works pretty well for that. It's not
WD-40, but it is a similar stuff.....I think I have a can of it around here
somewhere.....

It is a very, very bad idea to go around just spraying stuff into faders
if you don't know what kind of faders they are.

Cailube or the like is a great idea on actual resistive elements, but if
you have some of those crappy mackie-grade faders that use the top of the
fader as the sliding rail, using cailube to excess will remove the lube
from the top of the fader, making the problem worse. If the problem is
that the lube up there has gunked up, you need to address that problem.

If on the other hand you have a Penny and Giles fader or an API fader with
open rails, you need to clean the rails with alcohol and grease them with
a light instrument oil.

There are a lot of different kinds of faders of different construction and
they have different problems. There is no one universal fix.