Roger W. Norman

"nag champa" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for all the info, guys. So are there any opinions about an
Otari MTR-10 or 12? JRF sells a two track conversion kit for 1900
bucks, so if the machine was cheap enough and in decent shape, would
that be a good choice?

Thanks,

Jim

Cheap enough and pay $1900 for a head conversion?

I'd pay serious attention to the mechanicals on a RTR before I'd put $1900
in for some heads, even if they are from JRF. Now if you go to Randy
Blevins and buy a well maintained or refurbished RTR, then I'd say putting
$1900 into heads would be worth it.

But, and this is just a plain good idea any time, if you are already aware
of JRF, then call them and ask some questions. They'll be glad to spend a
little time so that you can make the right decision. They might even have a
machine just to your liking. Buying from reputable dealers like Randy or
the guys at JRF Magnetics is probably worth every dime you pay, and you get
knowledgable people to talk with when you have problems. And who knows, you
may end up with more than your money's worth.

Also be aware of tape scarcity. The folks at JRF are supposedly coming out
with some tape and Quantigy is making limited runs for SPARS (406, 456, 499
and GP9), but as I understand it, you have to be a SPARS member and that has
some professional requirements. Again, a telephone call will get an answer
on that.
--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio