Steve King

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news:znr1119805508k@trad...

In article
writes:

Isn't that why we always recorded on master tapes 1 khz tone for level
and
10khz for high-eq adjustment and 15 khz for azimuth tweaking? We assumed
that the master would --- always --- be played on a different machine on
its
way to a release format, typically vinyl.

Yes, but generally when adjusting azimuth you either adjust for a peak
if it's a full track tape or you pick two tracks and adjust the
azimuth so that they're in phase. But head gaps aren't perfectly in
line (there's a tolerance for "scatter") and if playing back a 4-track
tape on 2-track heads (or 4-track heads with pairs of tracks summed)
there's some room for the two tracks that are summed to be a bit out
of phase.

Makes sense. Isn't there another effect, when the material is recorded full
track, for instance, and played back on a two-track machine? Some effect on
low frequency response?

Steve King