Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Role of Production(Recording, Mixing, & Mastering) in Creatinga Great Record

On 12/22/2014 12:29 AM, Tom McCreadie wrote:
Oops, apologies, William, I realize only now that you were simply makng the case
for grammatical precision: 'mS' (with upper case 'S') when referring to Siemens
units, and 'ms' (with lower case 's ') for seconds.

There's a standard, I think from IEEE, that's pretty straightforward. If
the unit is, or is derived from a person's name, then it's capitalized,
such as mA (milliamperes for Ampere) or uF (microfarads for Faraday). If
it's a physical unit, it's not capitalized, such as ms (milliseconds) or
mm (millimeters).

There's also a standard for capitalization of multipliers, too, but I
can't remember what it is, like kHz (which I use because it's easier to
read than KHz). km (kilometers) seems to be common, but so is KM, but
only on highway signs.

William the Gramarian will have an answer.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com