Posted to rec.audio.tech
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default TV Antenna Connections & Temperature

ChrisCoaster wrote:

My setup: Antennas Direct's model# DB-8(UHF) combined via uvsj
combiner with a plain rabbit ears(for high VHF) and rg-6 running to my
D/A converter. I live 35 miles northeast of NYC and generally get
everything I need over air. Antennas are mounted on an 8ft pole in the
yard.

We use one of the square box indoor antennas in one of my windows.
We're maybe 25 miles from downtown Chicago.

The problem: When the temp drops toward freezing my signal strength
does too and I lose several channels - mainly the high vhf ones.

Q: Is this an effect of temperature dropping?

When my wife was on the phone with the folks at the antenna company
ordering it they reported that temerature drops are correlated with busy
times taking orders.

We started losing them starting at the lower numbers. I thought it was
thicker water vapor in the atmosphere because higher density goes with
lower temperature. Thus an indirect effect of the temperature.

We got a bigger fancier antenna. Will assemble it and start using it
tonight.