Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default Intelligence and RIAA

In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message

The train is leaving the station, Andre, Arny, Chris, Eiron, and Ian are
already on board, you wouldn't want to be left behind, you don't want to
have people thinking you have an incomplete knowledge of LP cutting. :-)

Hello John

Pleasant company indeed. But maybe I will wait for the limo:-)
I wonder how many others here have actually cut
discs professionally as a part of their record industry training?
It is such a complex subject that no-one has a complete knowledge.

Several pros to whom I have spoken have mentioned think that
an MM pickup has a flat response, and so the LF lift and treble cut in
the RIAA replay curve is purely to cancel the equalisation imposed
by the record curve on cutting (the purpose of which is to reduce the
LF and thus the lateral modulation, and also to lift the HF which will
then be reduced taking surface noise down with it, on replay)
We plan to cut a disc with no RIAA record correction, and replay it
with no RIAA replay correction.

This is easily done, because most cutting amps have a built-in reverse
network which is switched in for alignment. You then set the EQ
for a flat response. If you leave the network inserted, you get a flat
record characteristic. It should be possible to cut a brighter but
somewhat shorter side than is normally possible.

Ah, but the crux of the matter is how you define "a flat record
characteristic", it all depends on your Point Of View and whether you
are talking flat velocity, or flat amplitude response. Obviously you
are talking flat velocity response. Having worked as a professional in
a phonograph factory making phonographs that audiophiles would look down
their noses at, I find the amplitude centric view more useful. Both
views are equally valid, the problem is that people, like the "pros" you
have spoken to, speak of "flat" response without making clear their
frame of reference. While one can reasonably assume that a recording
"pro" is talking about velocity response, things can get a we bit
confusing when they start talking about "amplitude" when what they
really mean is the magnitude of the velocity.

Regards,

John Byrns