Stewart Pinkerton

Default Distorsion percentage, power or voltage?

On 17 Jan 2004 02:02:57 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

However, this would actually speak against
using dB as a measure of distorsion, since dB is fundamentally
intended to measure a POWER ratio.

The dB was originally a measure of sound pressure level, and the
logarithmic scale is used simply becuause our ears respond to sound in
a logarithmic fashion.

3. The measuring equipment measures ratios of voltages. It does not
measure power delivered to the load.

So... A spectral display based on voltage measurement should not
really be allowed to display "dB" on the y axis, unless we know that
we have a constant, resistive load?

Not at all, since a voltage ratio of 2:1 is approximately 6dB,
regardless of current flow. This is why voltage, not power, is used
as a standard measure of speaker sensitivity, since it is independent
of the load impedance.

I mean, the fundaments of dB
assumes that we measure a power ratio.

No, it doesn't. It is simply a useful logarithmic ratio.

The equation for "voltage dBs"
(20*log(u/uref)) is a derivation based on that p~u^2 neglecting the
effects of varying load resistance. It simply assumes that the load
resistenace is constant.

It assumes no such thing.