Scott Dorsey

Default Analog/Digital Pepsi Challenge...(long-ish)

Jay Kadis wrote:

I doubt we'd be able to settle the analog/digital debate using crystal
headphones.

I think it should be possible to make decent sounding crystal headphones,
with a little engineering. Not wonderful sounding, but at least reasonably
flat. If GenRad could make measurement grade ceramic mikes, I don't see
why not, and taking the GenRad mike assemblies and running them in reverse
might be a good first step.

That would be very interesting. You want to borrow some electrostatic
phones? You'll have to remove the steel frames and make some replacement
for them, but I think they are otherwise mostly nonmagnetic.

There were some other labs trying the electrostatics but they haven't managed
to get them to work. I'm not sure why. I should follow up on it, but my
involvement in the experiments has been on hold lately.

They won't get really really loud, if that is an issue. And most of them
do not seal.