Scott Dorsey

Default Analog/Digital Pepsi Challenge...(long-ish)

Jay Kadis wrote:
There is a problem using MRI (or fMRI) with audio cues: you cannot use dynamic
headphones in or near an MRI machine. Having done some fMRI experiments using
audio stimuli, it is not possible currently to deliver high quality audio to a
subject in an MRI machine. It was thought that electrostatic headphones might
work, but to my knowledge no one has yet succeeded. (Heaphones are necessary
because the MRI machine itself is very loud.)

Hmm... how about ceramic element headphones, like the old Astatic headphones
for crystal sets?

Electrostatic types would be a lot flatter, though, since the ceramic things
tend to have a lot of narrow resonances.

We also wanted to have rappers scanned to see if they use the speech or music
areas of their brains, but no one wants to fund such a study. Wonder why?

That would be very interesting. You want to borrow some electrostatic
phones? You'll have to remove the steel frames and make some replacement
for them, but I think they are otherwise mostly nonmagnetic.