Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Running 8ohm speakers on 4ohm tap of tube amp

Andre wrote:

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Andre wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:

Good?

You get less power

Bad?

Won't hurt the amplifier or speaker

Snake oil?

If it's done for any other reason then
that there is no 8-Ohm output or 4 Ohm
speaker available,.. it's snake oil, yeah.

Andre

I read somewhere (wish i could find it now) that it improved dampening.

In case of an amplifier without feedback it does indeed but,
take into account that the gain in damping is about from 1 to 2

Both of which figures are rather horrible.

where for example SS amplifiers nowadays have damping-factors between
200 and 800

At the levels employed with single ended tube-amps like 5Watt I don't
think you will hear much difference, exept that you end up with 1/4th.
of the output power.

Rubbish. It's 'theoretically' 1/2 the output power before taking into account
other real world factors. Probably realistically a loss of 2 ~ 2.5dB in
maximum output.

Graham