Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Monitors - Is More Expensive Always More Neutral?

On 10/12/2018 3:38 PM, wrote:
Then I'd rather have reference grade as part of my personal
listening system.

As I recall, you're more interested in the mechanics of a mix than the
musicality, meaning, or emotion of a song itself. That being the case,
indeed, listening on an accurate reference monitor might give you more
enjoyment than listening on a speaker that flatters the musical
qualities of a recording.

Would you say that if something advertises itself as 'reference'
then it's not?

If it has nothing to say for itself than "reference," then it probably
isn't. If it has the support of competent mixing engineers, then it's
probably earned the name. That doesn't mean that every engineer has to
like every speaker that's advertised as "reference." There are
preferences - because they don't all sound alike when playing the same mix.

--

For a good time, call
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com