Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 6 pin XLR Oddity

Frank Stearns wrote:

Now, on a 5 pin XLR, the "smile" is symmetrical. But on a 6 pin, the
"smile" is a wee bit lopsided -- the start of the arc is slightly offset
to one side.

That depends, there are two kinds of 6-pin XLRs. Neither one of them is
an actual Cannon design like the 3 and 5 pin ones are.

One of them is a Switchcraft invention and the other is a Neutrik invention.
And they are different.

Neutrik now makes a 6-pin model that is compatible with the Switchcraft,
but I don't think Switchcraft makes one that is compatible with the original
Neutrik.

Is anyone aware of an industry-wide change in the pin layout of 6 pin
XLRs? If so, approximately when did that happen? Ever hear of a bad
run from Neutrik? (New Neutriks all seem to follow the "correct" pin
spacing, even though older Neutriks do not.)

The problem is that there is no real standard, since Cannon never made a
6-pin one. So two different companies made their own, and now you have to
stock two kinds.

Quolle uses one kind for their console power supplies, BLUE used the other
kind for tube mike supplies, but for the life of me I can't remember which
is which.