Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Volume compressor needed

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:16:40 -0800, Greg Wormald wrote
(in article ):

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 07:55:13 -0800, MIKE--- wrote
(in article ):

Thank you Arny for your valuable suggestions.

Some of the responders still don't understand what I want. I DON'T want
to expand. Some CDs (and SACDs) have too much dynamic range (Vanska
Beethoven symphonies for example). I have no interest in the music
being as loud as in front of the brass section. To achieve a proper
volume level on the loudest portions, the softest parts are inaudible.
I just want a reasonable balance between soft and loud.

---MIKE---

Mike,

That is why I recommended the compressor-expander (compander) dbx 117.
It is an analog device that fits in a tape loop and will compress (or
expand, depending on the setting) the dynamic range of everything that
you run through it.

I eventually gave up on it because when I upgraded my amp I noticed a
deterioration in the signal even when the device was set on unity. Of
course you may not notice, or care more than you care for the
compression.

Yes, That's why I stopped using the 117. It was definitely colored.