Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

Default Volume compressor needed

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 07:55:13 -0800, MIKE--- wrote
(in article ):

Thank you Arny for your valuable suggestions.

Some of the responders still don't understand what I want. I DON'T want
to expand. Some CDs (and SACDs) have too much dynamic range (Vanska
Beethoven symphonies for example). I have no interest in the music
being as loud as in front of the brass section. To achieve a proper
volume level on the loudest portions, the softest parts are inaudible.
I just want a reasonable balance between soft and loud.

---MIKE---

Mike,

That is why I recommended the compressor-expander (compander) dbx 117.
It is an analog device that fits in a tape loop and will compress (or
expand, depending on the setting) the dynamic range of everything that
you run through it.

I eventually gave up on it because when I upgraded my amp I noticed a
deterioration in the signal even when the device was set on unity. Of
course you may not notice, or care more than you care for the
compression.

Ebay should have have them fairly cheap--there is one in Australia
(where I am), for $A35 with only a day or so to go.

Greg