Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Anything to say on Speakons

Tatonik wrote:

=============

I'm planning on terminating some speaker cables with Speakon connectors.
I've plugged in Speakons a few times, but never built any cables with
them. In addition to the Neutrik brand, I noticed Amphenol has their
own version (slightly more expensive). Is there any reason to pick one
over the other (or any other brand I don't know about), in regard to
quality or ease of wiring or general use?

** Speakons are cool connectors, I use them on my home stereo 3-way speakers. The cable clamping is very good and terminating cable ends is simple and requires no soldering.

Dunno about the Amphenol version but BEWARE of Chinese clones - with just a little wear they can FAIL to connect at all.

I'm surprised this style of connector hasn't caught on in high-end home
audio. The basic design seems so much safer and more secure than
anything else I've encountered.

** Nor have XLRs - chunky gold plated binding posts and matching 4mm plugs seem to be the only ones used. Horribly prone to short circuiting during handling IME. Same thing is near impossible with Speakons.

..... Phil