Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Keep the Mac or eBay it?

On 04/06/2020 06:33, Phil W wrote:

For example, my Windows-based system still uses the same M-Audio PCI
Delta Audio interface as in the last 17 years with the latest drivers
for Windows Vista/7 still working on Windows 10 nowadays. Yes, I know,
that´s rather luck than anything else, but my Mac friends need to spend
a few hundred EUR every 3-4 years because of lacking drivers for the
latest MacOS, which they need to upgrade to to run other programs.

Many years ago, when they introduced Vista, Microsloshed introduced the
Windows Driver Model, which gave all drivers a stable, documented way to
interact with the operating system.

Any WDM compatible driver will work with any version later than XP. The
only problem is that Windows 10 likes to see a "signed" driver, which
early ones are no, but this is easily circumvented.

I'm not going to admit to using a couple of XP drivers for obscure
Windows 98 stuff which just happened to work under Vista, because I got
rid of that interface a while ago.

I am still running a PC which was originally delivered with XP
installed, then updated to Vista, and when I finally installed Windows
10, and told it to accept unsigned drivers, all the Vista ones worked,
even the fingerprint sensor.

Nor am I going to brag about finding a way to run some games that were
originally written to run under Windows 3.0.

So, either sell or keep that Mac mini, but if you invest any money, it´s
better spent on upgrades for your Windows-based system, which is a lot
more flexible for upgrading single aspects like RAM, CPU, drives.

This. You also won't have to learn how to work a computer all over again.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.