Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Keep the Mac or eBay it?

On 4/06/2020 3:08 pm, Tobiah wrote:
Model Name:Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Mac mini
Model Identifier:Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Macmini7,1
Processor Name:Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Intel Core i5
Processor Speed:Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 1.4 GHz
Number of Processors:Â*Â* 1
Total Number of Cores:Â* 2
L2 Cache (per Core):Â*Â*Â* 256 KB
L3 Cache:Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

It has a 5400RPM hard drive which can be upgraded
with about an hour's effort and some luck.

The RAM is soldered in and can not be upgraded, at
least not by me.

I've wanted to switch to Mac for a long time, but
I have never owned one before now.Â* My current PC
has an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 910 Processor, 8Gig
and Windows 10.Â* I don't want to take a noticeable
performance hit.Â* How much is 4Gig going to hamper
things on a Mac?Â* I do use some large Kontakt libraries.

I also need to upgrade the monitor since only the
HDMI output will drive the resolution I'm after.
I wanted to do that anyway, but that's another $350.

I can get about $300 for this thing on eBay.
If I were to upgrade, are the Mini's the way to
go?Â* I understand the towers are thousands of
dollars.

I've never been able to bridge the gap to get to
a Mac.Â* I would miss being able to get my hands
into the machine and replace/upgrade parts of it.
Maybe hackintosh?Â* What are serious Mac users using
for tracking and production?

Sorry for rambling.

The thing that jumps out at me from all this is ......"Why ?".

geoff