Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

Default LP to CD still not available

I wonder if any record labels have considered using a laser turntable
(eg http://www.elpj.com/about/index.html) in situations where the
master tapes have deteriorated?

Has anyone out there in this group ever tried one of these machines?

On 18 Mar 2011 13:28:20 GMT, "C. Leeds" wrote:

On 3/18/2011 8:02 AM, manitou wrote:

There are still many past LP releases not yet released on CD or SACD.
I'm interested in two from RCA, one from the later 50s and another
from the mid-60s.

Is there anyone at BMG, or elsewhere I can email, write or otherwise
lobby to suggest these items be made available?

CDs made from master tapes that old are often disappointing. The tapes
have aged, and the flaws are often audible. A good example is the
Mercury Living Presence series - the CD transfers are way inferior to a
well cared-for LP. You might consider transferring an original LP to
CD yourself. You'll likely get a much, much better result.

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com