Bob-Stanton

Default More cable questions!

wrote in message

I've got well designed gear (in my opinion--intelligent solid-state
pre- and power- amps), and I'm not looking for audible effects. I'm
just mucking about, trying to understand the theory here, short of
taking a full electronics refresher course.

The effective inductance, at a given frequency, for a given load, is a
function of the distributed capacitance as well as the physical size
of the conductors. You would need to use transmission line theory to
calculate it accuratly. (A discrete element equivalent circuit will
also give close results.)

Measuring the effective inductance is a lot easier. In the example you
gave: where the response rolled off by 0.1 dB at 100 KHz (assuming an
8 Ohm load), the effective inducatance is 1.9 uH. That can be found by
simply calculation the value of inductor that would cause a 0.1 dB
rolloff at 100 kHz.

Bob Stanton