Glenn Dowdy

Default 8X DVD Burner?

"reddred" wrote in message

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called

MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

None of these are 'true' 8x, they use 4x discs. NEC manufactures all the
firmware for the 'semi-8x' drives, and I think you were most likely

looking
at a badged NEC OEM drive.

The HP 8x drive is true 8x, uses true 8x media and isn't manufactured by
NEC.

The 4x drives are made by either NEC or Pioneer,
with custom bezels and in some cases customized firmware. The 8x drives

seem
to be following the same pattern.

There quite a few manufacturers of DVD drives; you've only named two.

The true 8x drives should be out in spring.

They're in stores now:

http://tinyurl.com/yizv

Glenn D.