reddred

Default 8X DVD Burner?

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message
reddred wrote:

Mine as well--bought the 708UF a couple weeks back and am liking it

very
much so far.

What color did you getg?

Silver. Was there a choice?

Pink, baby blue... tangerine... actually, I don't know if the colors are out
here yet.

It doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if

you
already have the software.

Meaning it can do C1 and C2 error counts on CDR burns?

I'm really glad you aked, because it looks like I was spreading bad
information there. Unfortuneately 'Q-check', with the error checking, is
specific to the premium, whereas other plextools features should work

fine
on the 708
(http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo...o/ht00006.html). I

might
call them to get more specific information and ask if they plan on

adding
full Plextools support to the 708 in the future.

Might (or might not) be possible with a firmware reflash.

I'm assuming it's a firmware feature, maybe I can get them to tell me.
Whether or not they will offer the upgrade or not is another issue.... It
could be as simple as a bit telling the software it's OK to perform the
tests, come to think of it.

if one is in the
market for a cd burner, IMO the Premium is about as good as they are

going
to get.

Agreed, and the price recently dropped on them.

I payed about a hundred for mine then they dropped to ninety or so.... oh
well, there goes a pizza.

I was hoping to build a portable system (Shuttle-ish) with both
capabilities in a single drive.

Yeah, I was kind of excited about it as well. I think it is certainly
helping them sell the premiums, it was a selling point for me. Otherwise, I
might just have got the dvd burner.

As for your Shuttle box (biostar and gigabyte have almost the exact same
products out btw), I'd probably just put the premium in there and carry the
708UF with you. Not nearly as cool, though, granted.

jb